Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bad Things to Good People

Here are some links on the problem of evil.

The first link is a collection of resources all about the problem of evil, including criticisms of several different responses to the problem. I mean, wow.

The NPR program Fresh Air has an audio interview with Bart Ehrman on the problem of suffering.

Next is a discussion of the "God works in mysterious ways" response: do we have enough evidence to believe that there is a reason for all the suffering in the world, but humans aren't smart enough to understand what that reason is?

Finally, does everything happen for a reason? This cartoon dinosaur has an interesting take on that question. (T-Rex also occasionally wonders why bad things happen to nice people.)

The Problem of EvilCat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's so much I'd love to say about the problem of evil, or how truly hard the topic of ethics is, or just how much I totally loved the article on Cognitive Dissonance (really, how awesome is it when someone gets to say, "you know, you really smart folks may have gotten it really wrong all these years"?), but this post is about something far more important.

This post is about the Sean-dizzle. I was playing poker at the Taj yesterday and this guy sits down at the table who bears such a resemblance to Sean that I do a double and then a triple take trying to figure out if I'm about to get the opportunity to clean out one of my professors. After a few moments, I'm relatively sure it's not Sean, but knowing that he has a twin, I'm thinking there is a very good chance this is his brother. I study him for 15-20 minutes and of course, not knowing is eating me up, so in spite of the fact that he's not sitting close to me, between hands I shout accross the table "is there any chance you have a twin brother"? Unfortunately, all I get in return is a look that says "hey f*cko, I'm trying to play cards here so f*ck off". Now that's a pretty standard Taj interaction right there, but it didn't help me any in figuring out if this guy was related to Sean.

Hey, maybe it was Sean, and he just didn't feel like discussing Plato.

Sean Keegan-Landis said...

Ha! Nope, it wasn't me. I have a twin sister, so I doubt it was her. My brother and I don't look enough alike that you'd mistake him for me. It sounds like you ran into some random guy who's trying to ruin my reputation. :)

Oh, and how confident are you that you'd clean me out? I'm guessing only one of us has read this.